Scotland's First Minister Alex Salmond has called on David Cameron to apologise for what he describes as the Government's broken commitment on troops in Scotland.
In a strongly worded letter to the Prime Minister, Mr Salmond said the Government's bond of trust with Scots had been damaged by the slimming down of plans to increase soldier numbers north of the border.
Defence Secretary Philip Hammond announced on Tuesday that the number of Armed Forces personnel will increase by about 600, far fewer than was promised in 2011.
Mr Salmond wrote: "This week has seen an announcement by your Government on military basing which shamefully disregards clear promises to Scotland that were made less than two years ago.
"You should now apologise for the breaking of those commitments to the people of Scotland.
"You must also now commit to work constructively with us to ensure that the most positive outcomes possible are achieved for communities around Scotland and, crucially, for service personnel and their families affected by these changes."
The SNP leader said the Scottish Government had engaged with the Ministry of Defence (MoD) on "every possible occasion" since details of the Strategic Defence and Security Review were announced.
Liam Fox, who previously held the defence brief, pledged that the size of the Army in Scotland would increase from about 3,500 to 8,500.
He also outlined a proposal for a new base in Kirknewton, near Edinburgh, which has now been ditched.
The changes, announced at Westminster, mean the Army's presence in Scotland will grow to about 4,000 by 2020.